Estate planning services are aimed at helping you to take care of the people you love, but also to control your own future. Life is uncertain and you never know what is around the corner. Estate planning lets you plan for all uncertainties. It isn’t just for people with lots of money who want to make a will – there is much more to include in your estate plan and your plan provides for your own security as well as the security of your loved ones.
Check us out on BrokerCheck
Creating a comprehensive estate plan is something you should do now- no matter what age you are. If you are concerned about how your medical decisions will be made in case of incapacity, if you are worried about your assets, and if you want to leave a legacy behind, you need to talk with an estate planning lawyer. Kulas & Crawford provides services in Vero Beach, Port St. Lucie and surrounding locations in Florida. Give us a call today to discover what you need in your estate plan and to get answers to questions including:
- Why is it important to have an estate plan?
- What should my estate plan contain?
- How can an estate planning lawyer help me?
Why is it Important to Have an Estate Plan?
It is important to have an estate plan because accidents can happen at any time, leaving you incapacitated or causing your death. You need to ensure you have a plan in place so your family is spared from making difficult choices and so your wishes are respected both about the care you wish to receive and about what happens after you are gone. An estate plan is not just something the elderly need, and it is not just something the wealthy need.
- When you want to avoid being kept alive under circumstances where you have no quality of life, an estate plan is essential.
- If you want to protect your assets, you need a plan.
- If you have anyone depending upon you, from a pet to children to a spouse, relative, or friend, you need to have a plan in place to provide for those you care about.
- If you have causes you believe in and wish to contribute to, you need a plan.
When you work with an experienced legal professional, the estate plan you create will address all of the issues that matter most to you.
What Should My Estate Plan Contain?
Every person’s situation is different, and therefore every estate plan is different. Some of the different things which may be a part of your plan include:
- A last will and testament specifying who should inherit assets, how pets should be cared for when you pass, and who should become a guardian for your children.
- A living will and/or a Do Not Resuscitate to ensure you do not receive any medical care that you would not wish to receive.
- A general power of attorney and a healthcare power of attorney, detailing who should be in charge of making your decisions and managing your assets in case you become incapacitated.
- Trusts, which may be used for incapacity planning, for asset protection, and to ensure your assets are not lost by careless heirs or if you need to go into a nursing home. Trusts can also help to avoid the probate process and can shield your estate from taxes, depending upon the type of trust that you create.
- A business succession plan if you own your own business.
These are just a few of the common things which are generally included in a comprehensive estate plan. You may also want things like a charitable remainder trust or there may be other legal tools appropriate for you.
How can an Estate Planning Lawyer Help Me?
Taking full advantage of the legal tools necessary to create your comprehensive estate plan is a complicated prospect. You cannot afford to make mistakes on things like a will or a power of attorney as it will be too late to go back and correct those errors if you become incapacitated or pass away. You need to get the right legal help to make the best decisions from the start. A Port St. Lucie, FL estate planning lawyer will help make sure you have the right plan and that it is executed correctly. To learn more, contact Kulas & Crawford today at 772-398-0720 or contact us online.